Do you have a Graco swing that stopped swinging or not working entirely? IN this guide, I’ll show you step by step the tried and tested ways to fix it.
How to Fix a Graco Swing That’s Not Working and Won’t Swing:
Check the power source:
The first thing you should do when troubleshooting a Graco swing is to check the power source. Make sure the batteries are fresh or that the swing is plugged in correctly. Some Graco swings such as Graco Glider LX Baby Swing which are powered by batteries have a backup power source, so if the batteries are low, the swing will still work. Even brands such as Graco Soothe ‘n SwaySwing with Portable Rocker which are powered by AC may be able to work with a backup power source in the form of batteries.
Batteries may have also been mistakenly placed backwards with + being in the – and vice versa.
Also check if there is corrosion in the battery compartment as this will also affect power getting to the device.
To summarize, check the power source to make sure the batteries are fresh or that the swing is plugged in correctly.
Reset the swing:
If the power source seems to be fine, then you can try resetting the swing. To do this, you will need to unplug the swing and then plug it back in. This will sometimes reset the swing and get it working again.
Check the motor:
If the power source is not the issue, then it is most likely the motor of the swing. The motor is responsible for making the swing move back and forth. If there is something wrong with the motor, it will need to be replaced.
Over time, the motor can get clogged with dust and dirt, which can cause it to stop working correctly. One way to clean the motor is to use compressed air to blow out the dirt and dust.
Sometimes, the motor can become overloaded and cause the swing to stop working. If this is the case, you should unplug the swing and let it cool down for a few minutes before plugging it back in and trying again.
Another thing you can try is resetting the motor by unplugging the swing and then plugging it back in.
If none of these solutions work, then you will need to replace the motor. You can get a motor replacement on the Graco website on this page and goes for about $35.
Check for obstructions:
Next, you should check for any obstructions that could be preventing the swing from working correctly. This includes making sure there are no toys or blankets blocking the path of the swing. Obstructions can also be in the form of furniture. If the swing is too close to a wall or piece of furniture, it can prevent it from swinging correctly.
When Graco motor senses any sort of resistance, it will automatically stop to prevent any damage. So, if you think there might be an obstruction, move the swing to a different location and try again.
Check the settings:
The next thing you should do is check the settings of the swing. Make sure the speed is set to the correct setting. If the swing is set to a higher speed, it can cause the motor to overheat and stop working.
You should also check the timer to make sure it is set correctly. If the timer is not set correctly, it can cause the swing to stop working.
Replace any damaged parts:
If you have tried all of the above solutions and the swing still isn’t working, then it is most likely because there is a damaged part that needs to be replaced. The most common parts that need to be replaced are the motor, batteries, or power cord.
You can find replacement parts on the Graco website on this page. Replacement parts usually cost between $10 and $35.
Baby leaning too far forward:
This is a common issue with Graco swings. If your baby is leaning too far forward, it can cause the swing to stop working. To fix this, you need to readjust the straps so that they are tighter.
You can find a video on how to do this here.
Swing seat is not level:
If the swing seat is not level, it can cause the swing to stop working. To fix this, you need to adjust the legs of the swing so that they are all the same length.
Another common issue is that the swing can stop working if the weight limit is exceeded. The weight limit for most Graco swing is 25 pounds.
If your baby is over the weight limit, you will need to get a new swing.
Manufacturing and assembly issues:
Sometimes, the swing can stop working because of a manufacturing or assembly issue. If this is the case, you will need to contact Graco customer service.
They will be able to help you troubleshoot the problem and see if there is a replacement part that you need.
You can find Graco’s customer service information here.
When assembling, you need to strictly follow the manual that the unit comes with.
Seat is locked accidentally:
The seat of the Graco swing can get locked accidentally, which will prevent the swing from working. To fix this, you need to unlock the seat by pressing the button on the bottom of the seat.
If the swing is not aligned correctly, it can cause the swing to stop working. To fix this, you need to adjust the alignment of the swing.
Is Graco Not Swinging? Here is How to Know Graco Isn’t working:
It doesn’t start when you turn it on:
One common way to know that your Graco swing has power issues is when you turn it on, and it doesn’t start. This can be frustrating, especially when you have a baby that is trying to take a nap. The issue of the swing not starting could also be a problem with the motor of the swing.
It doesn’t vibrate:
Another way you will know that there is an issue with your Graco swing is if it doesn’t vibrate. This is important because the vibration helps soothe babies.
It doesn’t swing:
This is the most common symptom of a Graco swing not working correctly. When you turn it on, it may start to swing for a few seconds and then stop. This can be really frustrating, especially if your baby is trying to fall asleep.
music not playing:
This is another symptom of a power issue. If the music doesn’t play, it could be because the batteries are low or there is another issue with the power source.
Reasons for Graco Swing not swinging very high:
- Low control settings: The first reason why your Graco swing might not be swinging very high is because the control settings might be set to low. To fix this, you need to increase the control settings.
- Batteries too weak: The second reason why your Graco swing might not be swinging very high is because the batteries might be too weak. To fix this, you need to replace the batteries with new ones.
- Blanket hanging down/resistance: The third reason why your Graco swing might not be swinging very high is because there might be a blanket hanging down or some other form of resistance. To fix this, you need to remove the blanket or any other form of resistance.
- Baby too heavy or too active: The fourth reason why your Graco swing might not be swinging very high is that the baby might be too heavy or too active.
Graco Swing not vibrating- how to fix:
There are a few reasons why your Graco swing might not be vibrating.
- The first reason is that the batteries might be too weak. To fix this, you need to replace the batteries with new ones.
- The second reason is that the control settings might be set to low. To fix this, you need to increase the control settings.
- The third reason is that the vibration might be turned off. To fix this, you need to turn on the vibration.
Change the vibration setting of LX Glider or of any Graco swing to fix it.
- The fourth reason is that the vibration setting might be set to low. To fix this, you need to change the vibration setting.
Here’s how you can do that:
1) Press and hold the power button for 3 seconds.
2) Use the arrow keys to scroll to the vibration setting.
3) Press the Enter key to select the vibration setting.
4) Use the arrow keys to choose the desired setting.
5) Press the Enter key to save the setting.
How to turn on Graco Swing:
After putting your infant in the swing, make sure all buckles and belts are snug. TO TURN SWING ON: Rotate the speed dial clockwise until you hear it click, then lightly push the swing to get it started. It will swing at a slow speed until you rotate the speed dial to a higher setting.
How to stop Graco Swing:
To stop the swing, rotate the speed dial counterclockwise to the “off” position. The swing will gradually come to a complete stop. Always turn off the swing and remove your infant before folding it for storage.
Graco swing music not working:
- Ensure the music setting is turned on by pushing the music button
- Check the batteries to see if they need to be replaced
- If the music still isn’t working, contact Graco customer service
How to clean Graco Swing:
The seat cover and headrest can be removed for machine washing. The frame can be cleaned with a damp cloth. Do not use harsh chemicals or abrasives.
How to store Graco Swing:
- The swing can be easily folded for storage. To do this, first make sure the swing is turned off and that your infant has been removed.
- Remove the batteries from the battery compartment.
- Then, push down on the front legs of the swing until they snap into place.
- Next, pull up on the handle located on the back of the seat until the seat locks into place.
- Finally, lift up on the swing base until it locks into place.
- To open the swing back up, simply reverse these steps.
How to fold Graco Swing:
To fold the swing, follow these steps:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet.
2) Remove the battery pack.
3) Push the lock release button on each side of the swing.
4) Fold the swing until it locks into place.
5) Store the swing in a dry, well-ventilated area.
Matan Feldman, Dad & Swing Expert
My Name is Matan Feldman and I am a dad of a toddler and an infant based out of Atlanta. I manage this website, Baby Swing Hubs, and mostly blog here about baby activity gear including swings, walkers, bouncers, and jumpers, among others. From what I have learned being a parent for over 7 years now, I am very excited to share good tips with other parents especially if it can improve the safety of kids. I work with a baby products testing and review company and over the past 2 years, I have gained deep insight into baby products and am happy to recommend them here. When I am not wasting time learning one or two tricks at home with my two kids, I spend a lot of time blogging on this site or on other sites to assist parents looking for first-hand insight or feedback on different baby products – especially from a dad’s perspective. If you have any questions, you can reach me using my email, email@example.com.