Do you have a fussy or colicky baby? If so, you know how hard it can be to get them to calm down and sleep. One of the best ways to do this is by using a baby swing. Baby swings provide a gentle rocking motion that can soothe your child and help them to relax. In this blog post, we will discuss 11 of the best baby swings on the market today!
Do Swings help with Colic?
Colic is a very frustrating and heartbreaking problem. It makes babies cry for an hour or more and nothing seems to help. Some parents think that swings will help colic, but this may not be the case. Swings sway back and forth which might provide some relief, but they don’t go side to side as a cradle swing would. Cradle swings create a side-to-side motion which provides more relief.
If you’re looking for the best swing for colic babies, then find one that creates a side-to-side motion like this.
How does Colic happen?
Colic is most likely caused by something in your baby’s diet. A lot of parents swear that it’s from dairy, but there is no evidence to support this claim.
The best way to cure colic is by figuring out what the real problem is and then not eating that food anymore.
If a baby has a cow’s milk protein allergy then they will usually show signs between 2 weeks to 2 months. Symptoms of this allergy are gas, diarrhea, vomiting, or just being very fussy.
This is why finding the right swing for a colic baby will help your baby sleep better instead of crying all night long.
How to find the best baby swings for Colic; Features to look for:
- The first thing to do is decide whether or not you want a battery operated or manual swing. Battery-operated swings usually have more features such as vibration, music and lights than manual ones but they also tend to cost more money so they’re worth considering if you don’t mind spending the extra cash.
- As well as deciding which type of swing suits your needs, think about other things like whether you want an infant swing or a full-sized one.
- Being able to control the speed at which it swings is also a huge bonus as some babies like a faster pace while others prefer slow soothing movements.
- An adjustable height is another great feature as your baby will most likely grow out of their infant swing pretty quickly.
- Size: Some swings are large and take up a lot of space, while others are small and can be folded up for easy storage. Make sure to pick one that will fit in your home comfortably.
- Speed settings: Many baby swings offer different speed settings, so you can choose the right one for your child.
- Baby Position: Some swings allow you to recline the baby back, while others keep them in an upright position. Go for those with more upright positions, rather than flat as they assist in reducing acid reflux.
- Noise and vibration: Some swings come with built-in noisemakers or vibrators to soothe your child. Pick those that are not very loud.
- Weight limit: Make sure to pick a swing that has a weight limit that is appropriate for your child.
- Sturdiness – Make sure the swing is stable and will not topple over easily.
- Safety – Make sure the swing has a five-point harness system to keep your child safe.
Now that we know what to look for, let’s discuss some of the best baby swings on the market today!
Here are 9 of the best baby swings for Colic on the market today!
- Fisher Price Sweet Snugapuppy (2-way swing)
- 4moms mamaRoo 4 (plenty of features)
- Graco Simple Sway
- Graco DuetSoothe Swing and Rocker (portable)
- Fisher-Price My Little Snugabunny
- Graco DuoGlider (great for sleeping)
- Graco EveryWay Soother
- KidCo TR5101 SwingPod (inexpensive option)
- Kimbosmart Baby Swing
Check back soon for reviews of the above swings best suited for colicky or fussy babies.
Reviews of the Best Baby Swing for Colic;
Fisher Price Sweet Snugapuppy (2-way swing)
Our overall best baby swing for Colic is a Fisher-Price brand called the Sweet SnugaPuppy. The Fisher-Price Sweet Snugapuppy Swing is a great way to keep your baby happy and entertained.
The Sweet Snugapuppy swing sways side-to-side or head-to-toe and has 6-speed settings, 16 songs and sounds, an overhead mobile with dome mirror, 3 soft toys that dangle from the mobile, and an adjustable seat recline. Your baby will love the fun puppy design of this swing! The machine-washable plush seat pad comes with a deluxe body cushion insert for added comfort. Legs fold for easy storage.
The 4moms mamaRoo is the most innovative baby seat on the market today and is our second best swing for colic. It has 5 unique motions and 3 speeds to provide a variety of soothing motions that mimic the way you move, soothe and comfort your baby.
The mamaRoo also features Bluetooth technology which allows you to control motion and sound from your smartphone or tablet, allowing you to customize each experience as needed. The 4moms mamaRoo features built-in sounds including heartbeat, white noise and nature sounds, or plug in your own music through an MP3 player using the included cord. The carry handle and lightweight design make it easy to take with you wherever you go.
Please check back soon for more reviews of swings for colicky babies.
Matan Feldman, Dad & Swing Expert
My Name is Matan Feldman and I am a dad of a toddler and an infant based out of Atlanta. I manage this website, Baby Swing Hubs, and mostly blog here about baby activity gear including swings, walkers, bouncers, and jumpers, among others. From what I have learned being a parent for over 7 years now, I am very excited to share good tips with other parents especially if it can improve the safety of kids. I work with a baby products testing and review company and over the past 2 years, I have gained deep insight into baby products and am happy to recommend them here. When I am not wasting time learning one or two tricks at home with my two kids, I spend a lot of time blogging on this site or on other sites to assist parents looking for first-hand insight or feedback on different baby products – especially from a dad’s perspective. If you have any questions, you can reach me using my email, email@example.com.