If you have a newborn, a swing can be a great way to keep them entertained and happy. There are a lot of different baby swing brands out there, so you might not know which one to get. In this post, I have picked those ideal for infants from month 0.
Are swings safe for newborns?
According to doctors, most of them are. There are some swings that are not recommended for infants under the age of two months though. Swings may cause problems if they don’t move enough or at all, so this is something you might want to look out for.
Some types of swings on this list may also rock back and forth instead of swinging side to side. If you are worried about SIDS, it might be a good idea to choose one of the swings where the baby moves back and forth instead of swinging side to side.
Features to look for when picking the best swing for newborns;
- Safety: The swing should have a 5-point harness to keep your baby safe inside of it.
- Seat recline angle: If the seat doesn’t recline far enough, it might be uncomfortable and unsafe for newborns and babies still in an awkward position in their development.
- Height: The height of the swing is important in case you need to sit on the floor to interact with the baby while they are in it.
- Ease of cleaning: You want a swing that is easy to clean, especially if you have other children around.
- Mobility: Make sure that it can easily be carried from room to room so you can move it if your baby gets unsettled or bored of it.
- Weight: Depending on whether or not you plan on moving the swing around a lot, the weight of it is important too.
- Warmth: Some swings can be quite cold inside because they are made out of plastic and metal so you might want to look for one with a warmer option
- Noise: If your swing is too loud, it might be difficult to get your baby to doze off in it.
- Price: You don’t want to spend too much money on a swing. At the same time, you shouldn’t go for the cheapest option either because then you will most likely regret it when your budget gets tight and you can’t afford anything else.
Best baby Swings for Newborns Reviews
Our overall best baby swing for newborns is the Graco Glider LX Gliding Swing which has smooth gliding motions ideal for newborns that have yet to fully develop their brains and other organs.
Soothe your baby with the same gentle motion you use when cuddling and comforting baby in your gliding nursery swing. The Graco Glider LX features 6 gliding speeds, so you can find the right pace to suit baby’s mood.
The roomy seat has plush head and body supports, as well as an adjustable recline for baby’s comfort. The compact frame is designed to fit anywhere in the home, and a full-size canopy provides shade from light or sun. 10 classic melodies will delight and amuse your little one while 5 nature sounds help calm.
- Weight rating: 5.5 to 30 pounds
- Power: AC adapter plugs into wall outlet, or uses 4 D-cell batteries for gliding and 1 D-cell battery for vibration
- Motion: Gliding with 6 speeds; Vibration
- Safety: 5-point harness; Body support; Head support
The second-best option for newborns is Fisher-Price Sweet Snugapuppy Dreams Cradle ‘n Swing which has gentle motion rocks from side to side or head to toe.
This Fisher-Price Sweet Snugapuppy Dreams Cradle ‘n Swing is the ultimate in comfort and entertainment for your baby. It provides a cozy, supportive seat with plush fabric, along with an overhead mobile featuring soft toys that will help entertain your little one. The swing also features multiple speeds and soothing songs and sounds to calm your baby down.
The Sweet Snugapuppy Dreams Cradle ‘n Swing from Fisher-Price has two motions: side-to-side or head-to-toe swaying motion. It comes with six different speeds so yo canu adjust the swinging speed according to your baby’s mood. The seat reclines all the way to a flat position so that your child can sleep comfortably when they are not engaged in swinging.
Next, and third on this list is the 4Moms MamaRoo 4 Infant Seat which has advanced features and 5 motions. The several features it has make it customizable for a newborn.
The MamaRoo 4 infant seat by 4Moms is the perfect way to soothe and entertain your baby. This seat features 5 unique motions and speeds, Bluetooth enabled – control motion and sound, 4 built in sounds, and an MP3 plug-in. The smooth, woven nylon material is machine washable and the seat fabric is adjustable and removable. The AC Adaptor – no batteries required makes it easy to keep your little one comfortable.
Matan Feldman, Dad & Swing Expert
My Name is Matan Feldman and I am a dad of a toddler and an infant based out of Atlanta. I manage this website, Baby Swing Hubs, and mostly blog here about baby activity gear including swings, walkers, bouncers, and jumpers, among others. From what I have learned being a parent for over 7 years now, I am very excited to share good tips with other parents especially if it can improve the safety of kids. I work with a baby products testing and review company and over the past 2 years, I have gained deep insight into baby products and am happy to recommend them here. When I am not wasting time learning one or two tricks at home with my two kids, I spend a lot of time blogging on this site or on other sites to assist parents looking for first-hand insight or feedback on different baby products – especially from a dad’s perspective. If you have any questions, you can reach me using my email, email@example.com.